Table of Contents
- 1 Arduino & Fingerprint Sensor Based Biometric Security System:
- 2 R305 Fingerprint Scanner Sensor Module
- 3 Arduino & Fingerprint Sensor Based Biometric Security System
- 4 Working Explanation
- 5 Source Code/Programs
- 6 Video Tutorial & Demonstration:
Arduino & Fingerprint Sensor Based Biometric Security System:
This post is all about Arduino & Fingerprint Sensor Based Biometric Security System. In this project we will be Interfacing Fingerprint Sensor with Arduino for designing Biometric Security System. The type of finger print module we are using is R305 Fingerprint Scanner Module.
Security is a major concern in our day to day life, and digital locks have become an important part of these security systems. Fingerprint sensor based is one of the safest door locking system as it has the ability to identify and distinguish every person individually without making any error. Also the module is very small that it can be kept anywhere and with the portability feature and less power consumption you can carry it to any place as well.
You can check our previous project: Fingerprint Sensor Based Biometric Attendance System using Arduino
While biometrics and fingerprint identification has been existing for well over 100 years in some basic form, it is the growth of maker community that made R305 Fingerprint Module so popular. R305 is common modules used fingerprint scanners, with the aid of a powerful DSP in its core. We can communicate with it using a packet of hex codes in a specific format. So lets interface R305 Fingerprint Sensor with Arduino, LCD & Servo Motor. Lets get started.
R305 Fingerprint Scanner Sensor Module
This is a finger print sensor module with TTL UART interface for direct connections to microcontroller UART or to PC through MAX232 / USB-Serial adapter. The user can store the finger print data in the module and can configure it in 1:1 or 1: N mode for identifying the person.
The Fingerprint module can be directly interfaced with any microcontroller as well as Arduino Board. This optical biometric fingerprint reader with great features and can be embedded into a variety of end products like access control system, attendance system, safety deposit box, car door locking system.
1. Integrated image collecting and algorithm chip together, ALL-in-One 2. Fingerprint reader can conduct secondary development, can be embedded into a variety of end products 3. Low power consumption, low cost, small size, excellent performance 4. Professional optical technology, precise module manufacturing techniques 5. Good image processing capabilities, can successfully capture image up to resolution 500 dpi
1. Fingerprint sensor type: Optical 2. Sensor Life: 100 million times 3. Static indicators: 15KVBacklight: bright green 4. Interface: USB1.1/UART(TTL logical level) 5. RS232 communication baud rate: 4800BPS~115200BPS changeable 6. Dimension: 55*32*21.5mm 7. Image Capture Surface 15—18(mm) 8. Verification Speed: 0.3 sec 9. Scanning Speed: 0.5 sec 10. Character file size: 256 bytes 11. Template size: 512 bytes 12. Storage capacity: 250 13. Security level: 5 (1,2,3,4,5(highest)) 14. False Acceptance Rate (FAR) :0.0001% 15. False Rejection Rate (FRR): 0.1% 16. Resolution 500 DPI 17. Voltage :3.6-6.0 VDC 18. Working current: Typical 90 mA, Peak 150mA 19. Matching Method: 1: N 20. Operating Environment Temperature: -20 to 45° centigrade
Arduino & Fingerprint Sensor Based Biometric Security System
1. Arduino Mega Board or Any other Arduino Board 2. R305 Finger Print Module -(Buy Online From Amazon) 3. Push Button -4 4. LEDs -2 5. 330E Resistor -2 6. 5V Power External Supply for Servo 7. Connecting wires 8. Servo Motor - (Buy Online From Amazon) 9. 16x2 LCD 10. Bread Board
The working of the Fingerprint Sensor based Biometric Security System is easy. In this project we have used a Servo motor SG90 which acts as a rotatary access to door unlocking. We have used 2 LEDs, one as green LED and other the red LED which acts as access granted and access denied indicator. We have interfaced 16*2 LCD which displays everything whenever the finger is placed or removed, or gate is opened or gate is closed or finger is matched or not.
We have used 4 push buttons which are used to control the entire system. The functions of each buttons are:
1. Enroll/Back Button – Used for enrolling new finger print as well as reversing the back process or going back
2. DEL/OK Button – This Button is used for deleting the earlier stored finger print system as well as granting access as OK selection.
3. UP/Match – Used for moving forward while selecting the memory location for storing or deleting fingerprint.
4. DOWN/Match Button – Used for moving backward while selecting memory location for storing or deleting fingerprint.
Enrolling New Fingerprint
To enroll New Fingerprint Click on Enroll Button. Then select the memory location where you want to store your fingerprint using UP/DOWN button. Then click on OK. Put your finger and remove your finger as the LCD instructs. Put your finger again. So finally your fingerprint get stored.
Deleting Stored Fingerprint
To delete the fingerprint which is already click on DEL Button. Then select the memory location where your fingerprint was stored earlier using UP/DOWN button. Then click on OK. So finally your fingerprint is deleted.
Checking the working with the help of different fingers
Simply click on MATCH button. Put your fingers over the scanner. If your fingerprint is matched the door will be opened and if not match you will see LCD indicating Please! Try Again.
Here is a code for Arduino & Fingerprint Sensor Based Biometric Security System. Simply copy the code and upload it to the Arduino Board.
But before that you need to add Fingerprint library. So download the library from below.
Video Tutorial & Demonstration:
If you are facing problem with the above explanation the you can simply follow this video guide that will help you to understand easily. Here we have explained all about Interfacing Fingerprint Sensor with Arduino for Biometric Security System.